Apr 02, 2017
By Bob Sheppard
Fire Chiefs want us to make sure we have carbon monoxide detectors in our homes.
Their plea comes after four family members – including two young boys – were found dead in their rural B.C. home.
The coroner suspects they died in their sleep from carbon monoxide poisoning. They had just returned home from a vacation.
Pierre Voisine, Director of the Canadian Association of Fire Chiefs, says at least 50 people die each year in Canada from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Voisine calls these deaths preventable, and says everyone should make sure the lives of their family members are protected by installing proper C-O detectors in their homes.
And he says laws and building codes should make installing them mandatory in all homes, new or old.
Not all provinces require them in older dwellings, but they are the law in most new homes.