Mar 17, 2021
By Jane Brown
The original plan here in Ontario, to vaccine people in the 60 to 64 age range with the AstraZeneca COVID-19 shot, will continue for now.
The guidance from the National Advisory Committee on Immunization was changed Tuesday to now recommend the AstraZeneca vaccine for people 65 and older rather than just for those 64 and under.
A frustrated Premier Doug Ford says the rollout plan will be adjusted, but not in the immediate future.
“When we get a change of direction from the feds, which is NACI, and they’re changing and moving the goal posts, I can’t begin to tell you the logistics behind it. It just messes everything up to be very frank with you. It’s good news that they can go older than 65, but man, we have everything set up,” Ford lamented.
The premier says they are going to fulfill the commitment with the people 60 to 64 who have already registered for an AstraZeneca vaccine.
There are no details yet on when Ontarians 65 and up may book appointments for AstraZeneca shots, as part of a pilot project in select pharmacies and doctors offices.
Ontario received 194,500 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine last week and sent them to 330 pharmacies in Toronto, Kingston and Windsor and about forty family doctor’s clinics in Toronto, Hamilton and four other areas to be used before an April 2nd expiry date.