Apr 26, 2021
By Christine Ross
Military medical personnel are being provided to help Ontario’s burdened health-care system amid a third wave of COVID-19. The federal government is set to give more details Monday afternoon.
Health Minister Christine Elliott says the province made the formal request late last week.
“We have been having discussions with the federal government throughout and we’ve also been making our own requests of some of the other provinces, this is just a way to get more assistance if possible with the Red Cross and with the Armed Forces.”
Meanwhile, the Newfoundland and Labrador government is sending nine health-care workers to Ontario.
Premier Andrew Furey says three doctors including his wife, a nurse practitioner and five nurses will arrive in Ontario on Tuesday, and will be deployed to Toronto hospitals.