Apr 12, 2022
By Christine Ross
Ontario’s top doctor was on vacation in the Caribbean last week amid growing calls for him to address surging case counts.
During his absence, Premier Doug Ford was asked why Dr. Kieran Moore hadn’t been giving COVID-19 updates for nearly five weeks during a 6th wave.
“He never rests, he works around the clock for the people of Ontario and like yesterday, he had a meeting with all public health officers throughout the province, he is on the job 24/7, looking at the figures, looking at the stats and giving myself and our cabinet advice,” Ford told reporters on April 6th.
In fact, Niagara’s Medical Officer of Health says Dr. Moore was never invited to any such meeting.
Tuesday in Question Period, Health Minister Christine Elliott defended trip.
“While Dr. Moore was away we had an acting chief medical officer of health as well as five assistant medical officers of health who were closely following the situation in Ontario.”
Moore returned from his trip this past Saturday in time to hold a COVID briefing yesterday. Asked why he didn’t speak publicly sooner, Dr. Moore said the “data data has been available to all Ontarians, and that many medical officers of health have been responding to these questions. “