Aug 31, 2022
By Jane Brown
There is an update on the poisoning incident that affected 12 people at a Markham restaurant on the weekend as the owners of Delight Restaurant and BBQ prepare to reopen Wednesday.
York Region public health experts now say a spice contaminated with the plant-based toxin aconite was used in a chicken dish at that restaurant where the 12 people dined on Sunday night.
Investigators say they were able to locate the Markham-area retailer of the suspected spice produce and remove it from shelves.
York Region Medical Officer of Health Dr. Barry Pakes says the restaurant has been cleared to reopen Wednesday.
Dr. Pakes said Tuesday that 4 of the 12 people who went to hospital with symptoms of aconite poisoning ended up in intensive care but were recovering.
To learn about advertising opportunities with Zoomer Radio use the link below: