SUNRISE CLASS ACTION TO GO AHEAD

Jul 25, 2012

By Michael Kramer

Share on

The  victims of the Sunrise Propane blast in Downsview almost four years ago have been given the go-ahead  to press their collective lawsuit.

The court has certified the action against the company, some of its suppliers and the Technical Standards and Safety Authority.

Almost four years ago, the Sunrise distribution plant exploded in a fireball that killed an employee.

It also forced about 12,500 people from their nearby homes and caused about $25 million in damage to properties.

Lawyers say the crucial certification means victims are a significant step closer to settling their claims.

The class action seeks several hundred million dollars in damages.

Sunrise and two of its directors also face provincial-offences charges and could be fined millions of dollars if found guilty.

The government has said the blast occurred when propane vapour leaked from a defective hose or pump bypass and ignited during a risky truck-to-truck gas transfer.

According to court testimony, Sunrise had been told almost two years earlier to stop the transfers but continued them as a matter of routine.

Zoomer Kids
You Don't Have To Be A Zoomer To Love Zoomer Radio.
Check out what the Kids have to say!
Join Our Fan Club
Coverage Area
Downtown Toronto
96.7FM
Toronto HD
96.3 HD-2
Kingston to Windsor, Parry Sound to Pittsburgh
AM740
ZoomerRadio Logo

Recently Played: