Mar 27, 2013
By Jane Brown
It chronicles the history of one of Canada’s oldest breweries. The Sleeman Collection is a collection of photographs, business records, newspapers, correspondence and other artifacts from the brewing dynasty’s history, spanning about 175 years. And it now belongs to the University of Guelph. John H. Sleeman originally began brewing beer in Guelph in 1834. By 1933, the Sleeman Brewery had ceased operations when their liquor license was revoked for bootlegging, specifically smuggling beer into Detroit. The brewery was restarted in 1988 by John W. Sleeman, the great great grandson of the original brewmaster with the slogan “notoriously good beer”. John W. plans to be in attendance when the university unveils the collection next week.