Jun 04, 2013
By Jane Brown
At Toronto City Hall, the scandal surrounding Mayor Rob Ford appears to be losing some of its cache. For the past two weeks, Ford could barely get off the elevator without being mobbed by reporters as he slowly made his way to his office. Yesterday, the number of reporters was noticeably fewer. Some city councillors, including Jaye Robinson, say the issue is not going away, as residents in their wards continue to focus on allegations the mayor was caught on video smoking crack cocaine. “This issue has been disruptive and distracting for the business of City Hall.” But Councillor John Parker says the business of the city goes on despite the difficult time for Rob Ford. “I don’t think it’s business as usual for the mayor, but for the rest of us on council and for the rest of city staff, it’s business as usual.”
The Rob Ford scandal became an international news story. Journalists from the main U.S. networks were here last week to cover the news. As for Mayor Ford, he continues to avoid questions regarding allegations of illegal drug use. Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair says the matter is being investigated, but won’t offer any details.
Meantime, the federal finance minister is weighing in on the the scandal surrounding Mayor Rob Ford. Jim Flaherty says he has had “personal” talks with the mayor since allegations of Ford’s drug use surfaced. He says he’s spoken with the mayor and members of his family and is very close with the family, but says he won’t comment further than that.