Nov 08, 2013
By Jane Brown
He says he won’t take a leave of absence, but his lawyer says Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is taking today off for “personal reasons”. It’s been a tough week for Ford, who apologized once again yesterday after a video was released showing him on a drunken rant threatening to kill someone. Rob Ford acknowledged the video is embarrassing, and said, “Obviously, I was extremely, extremely inebriated.”
Rob Ford’s mother and sister have gone public with their viewpoints on the Mayor’s tumultuous situation, which includes his admission earlier this week that he has tried smoking crack cocaine. Diane Ford tells CP24, her son will recover. “I feel he’s strong enough to do that. This has been a very rude awakening for the whole family and for Rob.” But Diane Ford insisted Mayor Ford does not need rehab and instead needs to stay busy with his job.
Meantime, intervention in the scandal surrounding Rob Ford is not about to come from the provincial government. Municipal Affairs Minister Linda Jeffrey says she’s not planning to change the law so Rob Ford can be forced to take a leave of absence, but she is paying attention to the daily events. “Things are changing quite rapidly in this story and there isn’t much we can do,” she explained, “and I understand that members of council are considering a motion to be discussed at their next council meeting and obviously we will evaluate that motion when it comes forward, should it come forward.”
Chief Bill Blair has said police recovered two videos of the mayor, including one that shows Rob Ford appearing to smoke crack cocaine. The one that came out yesterday is not believed to be one of them. A lawyer for a man seen in the infamous photo of Ford posing with three men, including two alleged gang members, is going to court today looking for copies of two videos seized by police. An Ontario judge is expected to decide early next week whether remaining portions of a document that revealed Ford’s ties and covert meetings with an alleged drug dealer can be released.