Jun 05, 2014
By Scott Walker
A large section of Moncton, New Brunswick, is virtually under siege this morning after three R-C-M-P officers were shot dead and two more wounded last night.
The officers were responding to a call that an armed man had been seen in a subdivision of the city. He was wearing camouflage gear and carrying two guns.
The Mounties say they are looking for a suspect identified as 24-year-old Justin Bourque of Moncton. They have closed of a large swath of the northern part of the city and have told area residents to stay inside their homes and lock their doors.
It’s the first fatality in the RCMP since 2007 and the worst shooting since four officers were killed in Mayerthorpe, Alberta, in 2005.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued a statement of condolence for the loss of the three officers. He said, “This violent incident is a stark reminder that our men and women in law enforcement put their lives on the line in Canada every day to protect our citizens and communities. The sacrifice of these brave officers will be honoured and remembered.”