May 11, 2015
By Andy Johnson
Ontario’s public elementary school teachers have kicked off a work-to-rule campaign. Schools remain open and extracurricular activities and field trips will continue for now but but teachers won’t perform some administrative duties. There will be no standardized tests, no comments will be added to report cards beyond the marks and teachers won’t participate in any meetings or professional development related to Ministry of Education initiatives. The president of the Elementary Teachers Federation of Ontario says there is the possibility of escalating job action, but Sam Hammond isn’t saying what a second phase would include. He says the current job action will continue until demands by the government and the Ontario Public School Boards Association’s are withdrawn from negotiations. Education Minister Liz Sandals said last week that she was disappointed with the ETFO decision, but was encouraged that students will remain in the classrooms.