Jul 17, 2015
By Michael Kramer
Steamy temperatures across southern Ontario will peak in the 30 to 32 degree range Saturday and Sunday. Saturday night will be very warm – with overnight minimums in the 20 to 23 degree range. Humidex values will be near 40 during the afternoon hours on Saturday and Sunday – but it may be slightly cooler near the shorelines of the Great Lakes for the weekend.
Temperatures aren’t expected to be as warm on Monday – with highs in the upper 20’s. While extreme heat can put everyone at risk from heat illnesses, health risks are greatest for
– older adults
– infants and young children
– people with chronic illnesses such as breathing difficulties, heart conditions or psychiatric illnesses
– people who work in the heat
– people who exercise in the heat
– people without access to air conditioning and
– homeless people.
Drink plenty of liquids – especially water – before you feel thirsty: to decrease your risk of dehydration. The Health Department says thirst is not a good indicator of dehydration.