BAIL HEARING SET FOR CANADIAN ACCUSED IN YAHOO HACK
Mar 17, 2017
By Bob Komsic
A young man from Ancaster appeared briefly via video link in Hamilton court where a date has been set for a bail hearing as he prepares to fight charges in connection with the massive Yahoo data breach in 2014.
22-year-old Karim Baratov did not say a word during the appearance Friday afternoon, staring straight ahead with his hands in front of him.
He’s scheduled to return April 5 for the hearing.
Speaking outside court before the appearance, Amedeo Dicarlo says the allegations are unfounded and that he’ll fight to have his client extradited to the U.S.
The lawyer called the charges ”an attack by the U.S. government. It’s a challenge by the U.S. government. We are fighting that challenge.”
American authorities said earlier this week that Baratov and three other men, including two alleged to be Russian Federal Security Service agents, were indicted for computer hacking, economic espionage and other crimes.