Sep 25, 2018
By Jane Brown
We will hear Tuesday at 10am a line-by-line review of provincial government spending today from Ontario’s Treasury Board President.
Peter Bethlenfalvy said last month that EY Canada had been awarded the contract to conduct the audit of all government programs and services – a promise made by Doug Ford during the spring election campaign. He said the audit, combined with an independent commission of inquiry, would help the Progressive Conservative government assess the province’s financial position.
Premier Ford announced Monday, a select committee to look further into the province’s fiscal situation, while slamming his predecessor’s handling of Ontario’s books, “because the people of Ontario deserve to know, how did this happen, who let this happen, who authorized the cover-up? The people want answers.”
In reaction, former NDP advisor and political commentator Tom Parkin told Zoomer Radio’s Fight Back with Libby Znaimer, what the government is doing is a bit of a circus, “and circuses are usually about distracting from reality, and the reality is there was absolutely nothing substantially new in what Mr. Fedeli announced on Friday. The auditor general and the financial accountability office produced numbers that were substantially exactly the same in May.”
Finance Minister Vic Fedeli announced that Ontario was dealing with a recently revised $15-billion dollar as a result of the former Liberal government’s accounting practices.